This dress is another Leslie Fay classic! Judging from the label I would date this dress around the late 80’s to very early 90’s.
This big guy had a lot going for it! The shoulder pads were huge! The sleeves weren’t a flattering length. The dress was pretty long and had some extra space in the top. I started by ripping the sleeves off. The shoulders were actually pleated so I ripped out the pleats. There was enough extra fabric from the sleeve pleats to be the perfect length for cap sleeves so I left them and gave each side a hem. Then I cut the dress in half right at the waist. The waist dropped far to low for my liking so I brought it up a little.
This dress has pleats in the skirt. If I trimmed length off of the bottom I would have to make sure all of the pleats stayed nice and neat to re-hem it. I have made that mistake before! Instead of trimming length off the bottom I took it off at the waist. This way the original hem stayed intact! I redid the elastic in the waist and put the pieces back together. I seriously considered replacing the buttons with something really bright but I decided just to pair the dress with obnoxious earrings and shoes instead. 😉
I fell in love with the print of this fabric from the moment that I saw it! I knew I had to have it! Just take a look at those sleeves. Have you ever seen anything like them?
This dress was made by the Leslie Fay company and judging from the label, I’m guessing it was made in the mid to late 70’s. I come across Leslie Fay creations very frequently in my thrifting adventures! In fact I have about 10 of them in my “to do” pile right now. Because I see them so often, I did a little research about the company and it turns out they started in the 1940’s making women’s military uniforms. After the war they transitioned into more fashionable trends for woman that were sold in nicer boutiques. The company went under in the early 90’s but not before producing some awesome treasures for me to find!
With this dress I really just wanted to simplify it and un-70’s it. I removed the sleeves and threw it on my dress form. The size was pretty close already. I drew a new neck like in the front and the back. I cut off the extra fabric and gave all of the edges a new seam. The armpits desperately needed bust darts! The bottom lost a few inches and I tried to give it a little something extra by cutting the seams at the bottom on a little angle. I gave the bottom a new hem and paired the dress with a brown belt. Be on the look out for many more Leslie Fay treasures! There are lots more to come!