The print of this dress might just be my favorite that I have worked with. It reminds me so much of fabric that my grandma would have had in her quilting pile.
I didn’t do much to this dress. It really needed to be ironed after it came out of my dryer though! So I spent some time ironing it before I started cutting and sewing. I took a few inches off the bottom of the dress and few inches off of the sleeves and gave both a new hem. The shoulder pads had to go! I debated to keep the collar how it was or to simplify it. I ended up deciding to remove the bottom layer so it was a little less overwhelming and I’m happy that I did!
So I have a confession. My Husband and I love to watch Netfix. Like a lot of Netflix. I think the term “binge watching” would apply. When the show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt aired on Netflix we finished every episode in a few days.
Then I found this dress. Mole woman (with stripes) for sure! I couldn’t wait to get home and hack it all apart!
I started with chopping off a bit of length and giving it a new hem… But somehow I chopped off too much. When I tried it on again it was way too short. I had left a couple inches in my hem, thankfully. I ripped out my hem that I had just put in and sewed a much more narrow one. Whew, back to a semi appropriate length!
Next I took the sides in a few inches in the top for a better fit. Then I chopped of the arms and a little of the shoulders. Those got a nice new seam. Lastly, I had to fix those saggy armpits. Any time I take in the sides of a top I know I will need to add in a couple of bust darts so the piece will fit. Even with the mess up with the hem this dress was a quick one! I think Kimmy Schmidt would be proud.