This little treasure was a fun one to work on! I found it at one of my favorite thrift shops for less than a dollar. It had been sitting in my “to do” pile for a while when I was trying to decide what I would wear to film a wedding in the next day. You wouldn’t believe how difficult it is to find a dress that is comfortable to shoot a wedding in! I decided that I would fix this bad boy up to wear!
My husband, Brian and I currently share a very cozy workspace. It works just fine when we are both editing photos at our computers but when I start laying a dress on the floor to work on, it gets a bit crowded. Anyway, Brian was editing photos when I started working on this dress and he looked down at it and said, “I’m pretty sure that is made out of curtains.” Then he went back to work and left me with my drapery dress.
I cut off the sleeves and gave them a new hem. The waist fell too low so I cut the dress in half and trimmed a few inches from the top portion. I sewed the pieces back together. I kept the original elastic in dress and just stretched it as I sewed. I took off a few inches from the bottom and gave it a new hem. Lastly, I took in the sides just a tiny bit for a better fit.
It worked perfectly for the wedding that we were filming and I’m sure many more of our wedding clients will see this dress make an appearance at their big day!